Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gemma Horse is Growing Up

I have been riding my young horse through the last two years and making slow progress in her education. Having small kids sure puts a damper on one's riding time. That and work and laundry and meals and everything else moms have to do. You get the picture.

Gemma is five this year and is almost ready to begin showing in Dressage. This fall or early next year I have to get her out in front of a judge. She is ready for Training Level and nearly ready for 1st Level competition so I am biding my time.

Consistency in training strategies make a big difference, and even though my rides have been sporadic and she has had large breaks of time off with the occasional month or two vacation, she has continued to improve. We get a lesson about every six weeks with our trainer and in between we work on all our building blocks formerly laid down on the training path.

This horse has been by far the easiest and most physically able equine mount I have had the privilege to ride. I don't really post much about the horses here, since I think horse jargon and technical discussions are well covered on other blogs. But I wanted to share this little snippet of Gemma at the trot, stretching to walk, and at the canter.

20 comments:

brokenteepee said...

Oh, she's beautiful!

Melynda said...

Love the kids play-fighting in the middle of the arena!

Lesley Speller said...

I know absolutely nothing about english riding...like NOTHING, but she sure does look purty. ;) hehehe

I am with Melynda. The kids fighting cracked me up.

Sara said...

Nice nice nice!!! It is always tricky to get that lead right. I found my horses were right or left side dominant and it was hard to kick the right leg out first. You look very smooth in the saddle. Very nice seat. I'm no expert, but I know when people are comfortable riding and you look smooth.

The kid beating his sister/cousin in the middle was the perfect accent to the nice canter song I had going in my head. They were the gongs....

Julia said...

Yeah and that was my kid doing the swinging. :( They were both pushing eachother all over the arena while I a was riding and Suzi was videoing. They were all covered with sand and grit by the time they were done...boys...

The Mind of a Mom said...

I can't even remember the last time I was on a horse all I know is it was definitely before I was 15 so all I can say is ~ back in the day... hehehehe

Vixen said...

She looks splendid, as do you upon her. I made my youngest watch (who was taking lessons in dressage) and now she is soooo upset she didn't come with us to visit! Ha, ha I told her so.

You both move so well together, it looks nearly seamless. She may be the easiest mount you have had, but I know that has something to do with your handling. Bravo, lady. I look forward to video of you and her in front of the judges.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Yr place is so pretty. I can see why you have to get the ground squirrels out of the arena, because it could cause Gemma to get hurt or you to get hurt. Forget sic'ing the cats on them, sic those 2 boys on 'em...

She's a big horse, isn't she? So pretty, and your ponytail looked so cute when you were riding!!!

Julia said...

ODP-Funny how that pony tail was making me crazy and I ended up putting it down by the time I finished riding.

And yes Gemma is huge. She's a little over 16.3 hands. I actually look normal size riding her.

LifeRamblings said...

shee's gorgeous.

xashee's corner said...

the only thing i know about horses, is that i absolutely LOVE them! :) Yours is AMAZING! Thank you so very much for sharing!! Have a FANTASTIC day!

Unknown said...

Wow Julia Gemma looks lovely. She has improved so much since the last time I saw her move. Bravo on the training!

Grand Pooba said...

Julia, she is gorgeous! I've always wanted a horse!

Aunt Spicy said...

Don't tell my grandpa, but I have NO idea anything about horses...but that is a beautiful horse!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't know much about horses, but Gemma is a nice looking one.

Anonymous said...

You look great! I love how the kids play in the ring while you ride!

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Very pretty girl she is! Glad you shared. Get on out there and go to show!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I love it when you share horse stuff. Your posts are never technical and dry, just full of fun, kids and beauty.

Kate Emmett-Wilder said...

Gemma looks great! She moves like a nice, balanced small horse, doesn't look big at all. Nice work! Where's your helmet?????

DayPhoto said...

Beautiful! Very nice!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

The Day the Swallows Came Home

The tree swallows are here already.  They arrived January 30 much to my dismay.  Swooping and calling and chirping their merry song over my ...