Monday, July 13, 2009

Something Strange in the Air

Our part of the country is famous for garlic. In fact, acres and acres and acres of garlic is grown in the region where we live. I like garlic.


But on foggy mornings the pungent aroma drifts effortlessly across the valleys, creeps insidiously over the low lying hills and settles into ones pores and nostrils like an overdose of aftershave.

Maybe this is why there have been strange happenings with my husband of late. There is something intangible in the air that is causing unusual behavior from my dear and loving spouse.

Last night I found him watching a silent movie. You know those old black and white movies with the words printed after someone talks or at the end of an action scene. Mike sat memorized watching the plot and reading the text. This is out of character for my husband because he hates subtitles and does not read anything except instruction manuals, catalogs, and my blog (on occasion when it suits him). But somehow he was like a deer in the headlights watching the olde time movie.


He sat and read the words in this silent western for something like a half hour....

Very odd.

Then this morning I get a phone call from Mike around 10. He says, "I am on the computer right now!!! I'm writing the Governor! I am so pissed off..."

And he proceeded to tell me why he wanted Arnold to know how mad he was. We talked about some wording and he hung up to finish his note. Mike actually sent a letter to Governor Schwarzenegger venting his grievances. Wha??

Is all my writing and attempts at culture in my family finally paying off?? Does this mean the word "ain't" will miraculously disappear from my husband's vocabulary?

Somebody slap me I must be sleeping still. That garlic can't be that strong now can it? I'd better make some garlic bread for dinner tonight. Maybe tomorrow Mike will start listening to Vivaldi and Mozart. Hmmmm.

20 comments:

brokenteepee said...

heh heh. Here is is the aroma of goat gas.
Hmmm, I wonder what that causes.

jane augenstein said...

Hummm, I'd say garlic poisoning!!!
~Jane and Gilly~

Grand Pooba said...

So let me know when you hear back from the Terminator.

Garlic? I will have to try that, good for inspiring the hubby plus it wards off vampires!

Suzi said...

Consider yourself slapped! Ain't isn't going to leave his vocabulary. Sadly 2 of my boys are trying their hardest to use that word when they think I am not listening. Jeff and Mike are slowly wearing off on them. However, I am putting a halt to it.

Caroline said...

OMG...so funny! Tell him to write away...I am not happy the terminator either (as in he is terminating the success of our schools and state...grrrrrr).

MsSnarkyPants said...

Ain't is kinda an amusing word when used in the correct context. For instance, when I'm speaking the dialect from where I grew up I pepper every other sentence with an ain't or two. ;)

Hibiscus Moon said...

Tha'ts great. Something like that would be just as out of character for my DH. :)

The Old Gray Egg said...

I can't remember the last time I used the word "ain't" around my wife. However, I tend to use the word "cain't" around her on a daily basis. Which would YOU rather hear?

Yours truly, The OGRE?

Liz Mays said...

I'm taking notes feverishly!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Garlic-scented fog! Heavens! A new low in aromatherapy.

I ain't saying anything about the word "ain't." But I think it's a very respectable and venerable word and I use it daily multiple times.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Ever been through Gilroy? GARLIC CITY!!!

Hi from SITS!

Unknown said...

Yay for Mike... Whatever you are doing Julia, keep it up!
I LOVE garlic and from San Jose the occassional whiffs of the pungent smell is lovely (except for when I was preganant!) I remember a few foggy mornings in my second trimester, the smell was so over powering I couldn't be outside. But I think I had pregger nose pretty bad; for example, I could tell what someone had for lunch by standing 15 feet away from them! ;)

Rick (Ratty) said...

Silent movies are great. There is a much larger variety of them than many people know. I have always admired the actors from back then.

Frogs in my formula said...

I knew garlic was good at repelling vampires and helping with cold symptoms, but I had no idea it could inspire political activism and an appreciation for silent films. I hope you bottle this magic potion! Think of the ramifications.

Renaissance said...

I'm with Frogs.... : bottle the magic potion!

The818 said...

You can never have too much garlic.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Wow, garlic is supposed to have great healing powers, but this may call for a new government-funded study!

Anonymous said...

I love it when they do something that actually seem sintellectual. And then I totally love thinking that it was all my doing. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

theUngourmet said...

I love garlic! Maybe that's the problem over here...my husband doesn't have enough garlic in his diet!

How did I miss this post?

Anonymous said...

Ode to the power of garlic!

The Day the Swallows Came Home

The tree swallows are here already.  They arrived January 30 much to my dismay.  Swooping and calling and chirping their merry song over my ...