Saturday, July 4, 2009

An Ode to Independence Day


Happy 4th of July

I love fireworks!

I love the quiet anticipation of the first exploding shell.

I love sight of bursting colors across a darkened sky.

I love the gently drift of shadowy smoke as it sinks in the cooling night air.

I love the smell of burnt fireworks which leave your nostrils singed.

I love the wistful feeling of loss when the bright lights fade and we slowly leave for home.

I love the freedom of expression and choice that we have on American soil.

I love the feeling of independence that is our right in the United States.

I hope you feel it too.


The Pre-Game Analysis


The fresh brewed iced tea was prepared and readied for the thirsty...


The vat of macaroni salad was chillin' in the fridge waiting to make it's debut.


Two freshly baked apple pies stood at the sidelines waiting for their call into the game.


THE HORDE THAT COMETH SHALL BE FED!!


And while this food preparation was in play...

This fashion nightmare (or shall I call her a "fashion icon") was roaming our property.


Have a great 4th of July!

14 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I love that fireworks smell in the air too and your little fashionista is an independent woman in the making. I LOVE it!
Your feast for the 4th looks scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

Fashion nightmare! Hahahaha! Love it!

Happy 4th of July!

jane augenstein said...

Hey Julia! I'm comin' to your house, that food looks yummO! Love your little girls fashion statement! LOL
~Jane and Gilly~

brokenteepee said...

Awww, she is cute.
Me, I will be hiding in my goat house. I don't like fireworks. They scare this goat.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

How darling yr daughter is, and she has got her mama's big ol' blue eyes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great Fourth! I'm not a big tea drinker, but that really looked good. Maybe my taste buds are changing with my old age. And that macaroni salad...yummy. That could also be because I am starvingbecause I haven't really eaten in two days. But either way, you get props for all of it!

Sara said...

I like my sweet tea with no lemon. The pictures look amazing and your little one is adorable! Love her fashion statement. Hope you enjoyed your fourth!

LifeRamblings said...

your princess is such a lovely fashionista and she has that cute hat to match. hope you had a blast. Happy 4th!

The Silver Age Sara said...

You definitely do have a fashion icon in the making. She who follows her own muse.
The food looked fantastic. We might visit you for dinner one day.

The Mind of a Mom said...

I love the pic, what a cutie! Sorry I was late in wishing you a Happy 4th on your blog, but I did offer a wish on mine to all my American friends :o)

Julia said...

Thanks everybody! Come on over. You are all welcome for next year or rather come this year for our Fourth Annual Tomato Harvest Party we have between August and September every year. If you like salsa you want to be at out place!! And beerritas. Cant forget those either. :)

When we pick the date I'll send out invitations. ;)

Will Scarvie said...

Ella is so cute, even when dressed like THAT. :-)

We got to sit close enough to the fireworks this year that you could feel them deep in your chest. I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. Happy 4th!

MsSnarkyPants said...

Wow I JUST ate but those pics made me so hungry! My little Finn was a littttle unsure about the fireworks but I think overall it was a success.

I LOVE the smell of burnt fireworks!

Heather said...

that's about how I dressed all through high school.... I had no clue... I don't have much more of one now.

The Day the Swallows Came Home

The tree swallows are here already.  They arrived January 30 much to my dismay.  Swooping and calling and chirping their merry song over my ...