Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chicken Taming is Serious Business


In our quest to round out our new glorious flock of chickens I searched Craig's list for "fancy" birds and as luck would have it there was a lady in our town with a mess of five week old chicks!

Suzi (SIL) and I packed all the kids in the truck and ventured out to collect our newest members of the compound.

We were able to procure four baby hens: two silver laced Wyandotte's and two Ameraucana pullets. The Wyandotte's
are going to be show poodle chickens and the Amerucana hens lay pastel eggs!

After returning home we let the kids each hold the chicks since these birds are destined for tamin.' My son, Wyatt here was very happy about holding the chicks and showed me his victim with glee.

Cousin Luke however, must adhere to the paternal side of the family tree and show as little joyful expression as possible. The more serious the better. And if you can get a ounce of pissed off it's worth bonus points. It's just instinct for them...


Cousin Trevor, not to be outdone put on his best sour puss face to show me his chick. This chicken whispering stuff is obviously serious business around here.


Then there is Adam who got blasted by energetic wings flapping a little too close to his face.


But perseverance payed off as he delicately arranged the chick on his arm for a quiet perch.


So four more lady chickens will tally our number to 13. Is that going to work out OK? Is there an unlucky number for owning chickens? Well with the two roosters the total head count is 15. We will be fine I think.

By the way...anybody want barred-rock rooster? We seem to have one too many.

21 comments:

theUngourmet said...

I would say, ship him on over but we aren't allowed to have a rooster in the city limits. Only hens.

Great pics!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Your kids are so lucky!

jane augenstein said...

Love the pictures of the kids with the chickens. The oh, so serious faced ones and the funniest! I wanted chickens when we first moved to the farm but husband got cows....I never got my chickens. Now I have horse and donkey, they take up enough of my time that now don't know if I want chickens anymore. Do love farm fresh eggs though, humm, will have to think on that one!
~Jane and Gilly~

sassy stephanie said...

Your Luke descript is too funny!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i laughed out loud when i saw luke's expression...silly boy. i love your chickens! you are so lucky!

brokenteepee said...

Our one rooster is just starting to crow...it's sad, so very sad. Hopefully he will get it right soon.

The kids look so cute with their chickens.

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

The picture of Adam getting blasted in hilarious, I laughed out loud!

I think my neighbors would hate me if I got a rooster, but it sure would be fun!

Leigh said...

Love Ameraucanas! Have 3 laying hens right now. They are very good layers and the eggs are gorgeous!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Any time I see a little boy with a grin on his face, I think he's probably up to no good. As soon as I see it, I want to tell him how to go about his evil plan. It's always more fun with a good plan.

The Mind of a Mom said...

Wow this is the second time in just a few minutes that I read a blog where Craig's List was mentioned. I must go there and check it out

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I am predicting the future of the 4 cousins shown: 3 dentists who moonlight as professional poker players, and one mad scientist working ceaselessly to enslave both man and fowl.

Well well...seems you are well on yr way to having a real Chicken Ranch over there! *snicker*

Sara said...

Love the pictures! Little boys are awesome. The pastel eggs are so cool. I'd pick them too.

Julia said...

Hey Everybody!!

These new birds are joyful beyond my imagination! I was so sad looking at the other chickens. These ones even spend time preening! The other birds never did that. All they cared about was pecking each other until bald.

The kids are loving them too. Now they know what chickens are really supposed to look like.

There are smiles all around at the coop, even though the cousins can be a bit taciturn.

Michelle said...

It looks like you live in an amazing place.

xashee's corner said...

oh what FUN! i truly laughed out loud at some of those shots!! GREAT photos and thank you for sharing!! :) i am curious, though, about roosters, after reading Pricilla's comment! hehe is it possible that they must LEARN how to crow?? Best of luck finding your extra a good home! i would LOVE to take him but we are no where near ready yet!! :) Have a FANTABULOUS day!!

Frogs in my formula said...

The 2nd to last picture was the BEST. Hilarious and so so cute!

Debbie said...

You are so fun and entertaining to me! I love the whole chicken education I have going on here!

JenEverAfter said...

Doesn't it make you wonder what the chickens are thinking?
Can't wait to see those pastel eggs!

Aunt Spicy said...

I love the kids facial expressions! Classic!

LifeRamblings said...

sounds like a fun time. little boys are so cute holding the chicks.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Oh, those boy faces were eclipsing the chicken pictures. I'd love to have your rooster but I doubt he'd want to travel to Vermont.

The Day the Swallows Came Home

The tree swallows are here already.  They arrived January 30 much to my dismay.  Swooping and calling and chirping their merry song over my ...