Thursday, July 30, 2009

Julia and The Bean Stalk

So, I stumbled upon some magic beans a few months ago and planted them. They have not been growing as fast as the bean plants in Jack and The Beanstalk, but I have been patient.

A couple days ago I was staring up my beanstalks deciding which one I could climb to the land in the clouds.

I was thinking the clouds were looking kind of sketchy to be walking around in, but decided I had to go through with the visit. I mean if you find magic beans you have to use them properly.

Choosing this one, I began my assent up the not-so-stout vine stems. I had no idea what I would find up there....probably ogres and the like, maybe gold, well at least I was hoping so.

It was a long struggling climb and I was dreadfully tired at the end, but I made it to the top and found solid ground up in what appeared to be see through clouds. How do they do that???

I started walking around and found some trees that were being water with a garden hose. The giant must have forgot the water on since it was all mushy around the base of the tree. Then I found this frog flooded out of his home.


Seeing how he might be a prince charming who needs rescuing I decided to kiss him and try to break the evil witch's wicked spell. I gave him a "Sssssmack!" Right on the kisser.

Nothing happened.


Oh, yeah... I should have known. He was just a toad. A western toad. Then he told me his name was Bufo Boreas and that he was actually the King of Bug Eating. Well now I can say I've kissed a King. Haa haa.

I looked around for the alleged treasures that are supposed to be up there and stumbled upon these large elliptical fruit. They were gigantic and so I could not feasibly carry them down the beanstalk. Drat!


I was wondering if I would find anything of value up there in the clouds and wandered around for a few minutes more. I certainly did not want to end up the entree for the giant. I was getting the feeling that my time was running out.

Then I heard some screaming and turned and saw this:


Three dwarfs were barreling down on me in their vehicles of destruction. One got pretty close and I could see it's sharp teeth and claws. I started to get scared at that point.


I hear these small dwarfs are fierce fighters and eat humans. I gotta run folks. Wish me luck going down that bean stalk. Too bad there was no treasure today...

35 comments:

Sara said...

I love this story! Too cute! You are way creative! I would have said "Look I got some beans and found a frog and then my kids found me." Love the picture of her laughing.

Hibiscus Moon said...

Hahhhahahaha! This is great!!! You must have this published somewhere, photos and all, of course.

brokenteepee said...

You are too clever by far. And is it me or is that toad smiling? He looks kinda wise and all.

The Mind of a Mom said...

No bean growing here! We have had so much rain we have mushrooms in the front we don't want and can't eat and tomatoes in the back we want to eat and can't
Maybe magic beans would work here :o)

Unknown said...

Love your story!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Hmmm...Julia dearie...ye weren't nibbling on, smoking, or drinking any "magic" plant materials (strictly for botanical research, of course) before "seeing" this magical beanstalk, now were ye?

That is quite a cute toad you found. Look at his big bright eye! He's quite pleased a lovely botanist kissed him and I'm sure he will put on airs about it the rest of his life! "*I* got kissed by a human princess!"

Are you sure those are dwarves in that last photo? Looks more like those bad little trolls to me...they are SCARY...

Leigh said...

You're awesome Julia! That's a great story!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

there is no way you kissed that toad!!! if so, it must have peed on you...they all do when you handle them...silly girl!

karenscarvie said...

I LAUGHED MY HEAD OFF. BRAVO!

theUngourmet said...

You are so cute! I bet the kids loved hearing your magical story! I'll have to read it to my kids. :0)

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Very entertaining you are!!!! Love it! So creative.

Rick (Ratty) said...

A wonderful story! Your beanstalk was probably much better than Jack's. I know him and he happens to be a notorious liar. And be careful about kissing toads, you'll begin to get a taste for bugs.

The Silver Age Sara said...

What a fabulous story. I love your toad and I would have kissed him too. Did you survive the invasion of the dwarfs?

Really entertaining Julia. You have such a gift for writing.

xashee's corner said...

hehe Thank you for sharing the Beanstalk journey!! i have never climbed a beanstalk before and always wondered what was up there!! hehe Have a FANTASTIC day!! :D

Karen said...

Wow! I had no idea! I am going to be careful when I walk by anyone's garden from now on.

Unknown said...

great writing...and those munchkins look adorably scary.

Anonymous said...

Those tricycles are fricking awesome! Who the hell are they made by John Deere?! Those are like 3x3's...you know like a 4x4, but they only have 3 wheels...nevermind. Seriously, though, the tires on those things look all terrain! That is the first cute frog I have seen in a very long time.

life ramblings said...

what a lovely post and i love all your pictures. happy weekend.

Jude said...

I'm glad I stopped by and read your story it made me less sad. I'll have to start entertaining my self by reading more of your writing.

Will Scarvie said...

LOVED the story, Julia. I'll be reading it to my kids in a bit. THANKS

Sharon said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Glad to say hi! Enjoyed the visit to your blog. Great stuff!

Happy weekend SITSAH

SquirrelQueen said...

What a wonderful story and photos, I especially like those small dwarfs, they do look fierce.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

SQ

Lorie said...

What a great post. And gorgeous photos!

Anonymous said...

I do like the King of Toads, but I just love those dwarfs, sharp teeth and all!
And...I love those trikes. Where did you get those? My grandson Caleb, would love to ride on one of those neat rides.
Great fairy tale.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Pam

jane augenstein said...

Julia, you are just too funny!!! Loved your story and pictures, good, good writing!!!

VanillaSeven said...

LOL! I laugh by myself while reading your blog Julia! Thank you for dropping by, you have a wonderful blog, keep it up! :)

Mammatalk said...

What a magical place you call home! And, a magical post as well.

MsSnarkyPants said...

*giggles* That was adorable!

Anonymous said...

And I don't doubt that you really kissed that thing.

Aunt Spicy said...

I think the dwarfs are adorable!

Grand Pooba said...

No prince? What a rip off! I'd ask for my money back if I were you. Wait, you didn't pay for it did you.

Liz Mays said...

That was such a cute story! That really is a beautiful healthy vine.
I feel kinda sorry for the displaced froggie.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Love it! Especially the fierce little dwarves. They are terrifying.

Unknown said...

How cute! Great pictures especially of the scary dwarfs!
Stopping by from the Mom-a-licious linkathon =)

Will Scarvie said...

Just a follow-up. I did, indeed, read the story to my kids, making sure to scroll down at just the right times to let the pics do the talking. They LOVED it. Laughed their little heads off. THANKS Julia.

The Day the Swallows Came Home

The tree swallows are here already.  They arrived January 30 much to my dismay.  Swooping and calling and chirping their merry song over my ...